Mets star Yoenis Cespedes is opting out of the rest of the 2020 MLB season.

Cespedes, 34, did not show up for the Mets’ game Sunday in Atlanta. The Mets initially weren’t sure what Cespedes’ status was when they couldn’t get in touch with him prior to the 4-0 loss.

“He’s healthy and he’s safe,” GM Brodie Van Wagenen told reporters. “He’s decided to opt out of the remainder of the season for COVID-related reasons.”

Van Wagenen said he did not have any indication previously that Cespedes was possibly opting out.

“It was surprising, without question,” Van Wagenen said.

tinyurlis.gdu.nuclck.ruulvis.netshrtco.de