One officer indicted in Breonna Taylor case
A grand jury has indicted a fired Kentucky police officer on criminal charges in the Breonna Taylor case — but not for her death. Brett Hankison was charged Wednesday with three counts of wanton endangerment. (Sept. 23)
Two Louisville Metro Police Department officers were shot during protests on Wednesday night following a grand jury's decision in the shooting death of Breonna Taylor.
Interim Police Chief Robert Schroeder told reporters during a preliminary briefing that the officers sustained non life-threatening injuries. One was in surgery, and the other was alert and in stable condition, he said.
A suspect has been arrested, Schroeder said.
President Donald Trump said on Twitter that he was "praying for the two police officers that were shot," adding he had spoken to Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear and was "prepared to work together, immediately upon request!"
The officers were responding to a call of shots fired and a large crowd at around 8:30 p.m., Schroeder told reporters. He didn't identify the officers or the suspect.
"I am very concerned about the safety of our officers," Schroeder said. "Obviously, we've had two officers shot tonight and that is very serious. It's a very dangerous condition."
America reacts: 'Absolutely heartbreaking' ruling in Breonna Taylor shooting sparks new wave of national protests for justice, racial equality
One officer was shot in the abdomen below their bulletproof vest and is in surgery, and a second was shot in the thigh, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Courier-Journal of the USA TODAY Network.
Late Wednesday, Beshear addressed the shooting and asked people in the streets to "go home."
"We know that the answer to violence is never violence and are thinking about those two officers and their families tonight," he said.
Beshear added, "There will be many times over the coming days where there will be an opportunity to be heard, and so many people are listening right now."
Earlier in the day, Kentucky's attorney general announced one of the three officers involved in Taylor's shooting death, former officer Brett Hankison, was indicted, however he was being charged with three counts of felony wanton endangerment for firing into the apartment next door to Taylor's.
Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove, two other officers involved in the shooting, were not charged.
- راز ناگفته تسلط بر داروهای گیاهی در فقط 4 روز
- فیلیپ موریس می گوید: فروش سیگار در بسیاری از مکان ها می تواند در نهایت در یک دهه و آنها رو 'امن' محصول به جای آنها
- صهیون ویلیامسون 'در نظر دارد به دوباره پیوستن به تیم' پس از خروج حباب
- بابا والاس در پاسخ به FBI يافته ها: 'این یک مستقیم طناب دار"
- آموزش تعمیرات لوازم خانگی ️ ویدیو معرفی دوره توسط استاد ️ با بهترین قیمت
- اروپا بازار: سهام اروپا جست و خیز کردن چین تدابیر گرفتن آن در هنگ کنگ
- "من دارم می روم و من فقط در آینده نه': تغذیه با نژادپرستی سیاه آمریکایی ها سر در خارج از کشور
- حذف برج خنک کننده یکبار و برای همه
- Yankees’ division hopes fade in ugly loss to Blue Jays
- The Margin: 5 things to know about Trump’s possible Supreme Court picks — like how Barbara Lagoa could help him in Florida